Canelo Alvarez Gets 6-Month Suspension For Dirty Drug Test

By Staff  |  04/18/2018

As expected, Canelo Alvarez has been suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for two failed drug tests.

According to ESPN, the NSAC voted 5-0 to suspend the Mexican boxing star for six months -- the "lightest punishment typically given for his kind of infraction," said the report.

This follows a temporary suspension the NSAC declared since early April, which led Canelo to withdraw from the anticipated rematch with unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, scheduled for May 5 in Las Vegas.

As previously reported, Canelo tested positive for the banned PED clenbuterol twice, which his camp says is credited to him eating contaminated beef. This actually has been an ongoing problem for Mexican athletes, because farmers include the substance in cattle feed to reduce fat and increase lean muscle mass -- something prohibited in the United States.

In a settlement agreement between Alvarez and the state, the boxer "admits that the presence of clenbuterol in his urinalyses samples constitutes a violation of the commission's anti-doping regulations, regardless of whether or not he intentionally, knowingly, or negligently ingested the prohibited substance. Alvarez denies intentionally taking clenbuterol or any other substances prohibited by the commission."

The suspension will actually be lifted on Aug. 17, six months from Feb. 17, the date of his first positive drug test.

Currently, the plan is for Canelo and GGG to fight in their rematch during Mexican Independence Day weekend in mid-September... if Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) defeats late substitute Vanes Martirosyan (36-3-1, 21 KOs) on May 5th.