Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin

The May 5th rematch between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin is officially off.

Canelo was facing a suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for two failed drug tests. While awaiting the decision, he instead, opted to withdraw from the fight earlier this week.

Canelo was scheduled to face off against unified middleweight champ GGG in an anticipated rematch on May 5th at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The second meeting followed the first fight, which ended in a controversial draw in September. Most thought Golovkin won.

However, Canelo twice tested positive for the banned performance-enhancing drug clenbuterol. His camp says the tests are a result of eating contaminated beef — an ongoing problem for athletes from Mexico, because farmers include the substance in cattle feed to reduce fat and increase lean muscle mass, while this is prohibited in the United States.

“We’re going to have to cancel the May 5 rematch,” Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez said during a news conference. “As you all know there is a hearing on April 18 and it’s extremely unlikely this will get properly resolved by then and we need enough time to promote this fight.”

Additionally, given the current regulations in Nevada we have been advised, and it is unfortunate, that Canelo won’t be cleared to fight in May,” he added. “We are hopeful this matter will be resolved and we are hoping Canelo will be cleared so we can reschedule the fight for August or September.”

Canelo himself said he is a clean fighter, but would accept his punishment from the NSAC. “I am truly shocked about what has happened and for those who have doubts and suspicions about my integrity, I have always been and always will be clean fighter,” Alvarez said, speaking through a translator. “I want to apologize to HBO, Tecate and Hennessy and all my other sponsors, the media and to everyone who is involved in the promotion of this event, and especially to the fans. I respect this sport. I will always be a clean fighter.”

Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) will likely be handed a one year suspension from the NSAC. His hearing is scheduled for April 18 in Las Vegas.

We guess the rematch will have to wait.