Dana White Says UFC Unsure if Conor McGregor Will Fight Again

By Staff  |  11/29/2017

Conor McGregor

With December nearly here, there's no indication that Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon before year's end.

And... if UFC president Dana White's concerns are legit... we may never see him fight again.

He says that McGregor's future as a UFC fighter is currently unclear... especially after he pocketed nearly $100 million in his megafight against Floyd Mayweather in August.

"We were working on a fight for him at the end of the year, and he's just not ready," White told reporters this week, according to ESPN.

"We're still in that 'Conor might never fight again' [phase]. The guy's got a f*cking $100 million," he continued. "I've got guys who have made less than that, who were lawyers their whole lives and quit working ... And fighting is the worst. Try to get up and get punched in the face for a living when you've got $100 million in the bank."

Earlier this month, the UFC was optimistic McGregor (21-3) would return at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas. While the two sides are in the process of negotiating a new deal, McGregor is now not expected to fight again in 2017.

The UFC would like its star back... sooner than later. After all, he currently holds the 155-pound title, which he claimed in November 2016 at UFC 205, and still has not defended it.

Will he be stripped of the belt? White isn't sure yet.

"At the end of the day, I'm going to run this business with or without anybody," he said. "If Conor wants to fight again, we absolutely want Conor to come back. But if Conor walks away and doesn't fight again, it's part of the game.

"We need to figure that out. Right now, with him, it's not about defend or vacate. We're working on a new deal with him. We've got to work out this new deal."