Did you know Paris Hilton is the innovator who invented the selfie?
The hotel heiress took to Twitter over the weekend to celebrate the anniversary of “the selfie”, which she claims her and Britney Spears invented 11 years ago.
11 years ago today, Me & Britney invented the selfie! pic.twitter.com/1byOU5Gp8J
— Paris Hilton (@ParisHilton) November 19, 2017
Twitter had a whole lot to say to Paris, challenging her claim and offer evidence to discredit her claim.
Below are a few examples of notable figures in TV and film doing selfies of their own (via Complex)… way before anyone knew who Paris Hilton.
1. Here’s Bill Nye the Selfie Guy from 1999.
— miXeroneDTC (@mixer1av) November 19, 2017
2. Sabrina the Teenage Witch was doing selfies in 1996.
sabrina the teenage witch joins the craze in 96 pic.twitter.com/hdAFH1r3oV
— fresh2fresh (@freshtwofresh) November 19, 2017
3. Kramer made the accidental discovery during a 1995 episode of Seinfeld.
oh realy because heres kramer inventing the selfie in 1995 pic.twitter.com/dtmR0Kh3lP
— Seinfeld Current Day (@Seinfeld2000) November 19, 2017
4. Madonna was doing selfies way before Paris.
— sois gilipollas (@Anscarix) November 19, 2017
5. Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis did a selfie with a Polariod camera in 1991’s Thelma & Louise.
— 💚וולטר 💀 (@ElForenseOk) November 19, 2017
6. Here’s George Harrison in 1966.
George Harrison. 1966. pic.twitter.com/NclJMIpoK6
— George MacDonald (@geomac24) November 19, 2017