Jon Jones
via Instagram / Jon Jones

Nearly a month after regaining the UFC light heavyweight title at UFC 214, via a knockout win over Daniel Cormier, news has surfaced that Jon Jones failed his drug test ahead of the fight.

In a statement released Tuesday (Aug. 22), the UFC said Jones’ failed test was from an in-competition sample that was collected at the weigh-in July 28, the day before his fight against Cormier.

According to TMZ, the UFC star tested positive for the anabolic steroid Turinabol.

UFC president Dana White called the news “brutal”, while adding that it could spell the end of Jones’ career. “If it ends up getting two or three (year-long suspension), it might be the end of his career,” he told reporters at The Ultimate Fighter Gym in Las Vegas. “How old is Jon now, 30? And he’d be 33, 34, trying to make a comeback again? You look at what could have been and what he could’ve done, it’s sad.”

TMZ has reported that Jones has been stripped of his title, but White has denied this thus far.

This is the second failed drug test of Jones’ career. He was pulled from UFC 200 in July 2016, where he was scheduled as the headliner against Cormier. That time, he tested positive for anti-estrogenic agents, which he later said was the result of an unmarked sexual enhancement pill.

Jones served a one-year suspension for the failed test. But before that, he was stripped of his title in 2015, following an arrest for hit-and-run charges.

Since the news broke on Tuesday, Jones’ camp released a statement saying he was “crushed” by the news. “We are all at a complete loss for words right now. Jon, his trainers, his nutritionists and his entire camp have worked tirelessly and meticulously the past 12 months to avoid this exact situation. We are having the samples tested again to determine the validity or source of contamination,” the statement read. “Jon is crushed by this news and we are doing whatever we can as a team to support him.”

If the failed test hold is not contested or overturned, Jones’ win at UFC 214 over Cormier will be changed to a no-contest.

In a statement Tuesday night, Cormer said: “It’s hard to find words to describe how I’m feeling right now. I’m disappointed to hear the news. It’s very emotional. We, as athletes, are entitled to due process, and I will refrain from saying much more until I know exactly what happened.”

“In my mind, on July 29, I competed and I lost. I thought Jon Jones was the better man that day. I don’t know what to think anymore. I can’t believe we are going through all of this again. We will see what happens next.”

White also revealed Tuesday that the UFC had been working on a potential superfight between Jones and heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic in December… but with this news, its unlikely it can happen.