Michael Bisping
via UFC

A UFC middleweight title fight between Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre is “official,” the champion himself confirmed on Wednesday (Aug. 2).

Bisping (30-7) appeared on UFC Tonight this week, during which he revealed that the title fight would take place at UFC 217 on Nov. 4 at Madison Square Garden.

“This is actually the third time I’ve been offered this fight, so the ship’s sailed twice,” he said. “On this occasion, the third occasion, it set off sailing but did a U-turn and pulled up at New York City.”

“I’ve got a chirpy little Englishman who’s going to fight Georges St-Pierre, Madison Square Garden, Nov. 4. It is official. Put it in your diaries. Do not miss it. We’re taking over.”

So far, the UFC has not yet announced the bout, but president Dana White told media members last weekend that the fight would be set up… following a uneventful performance by welterweight champ Tyron Woodley, who earned a unanimous decision over Demian Maia at UFC 214.

The winner of the Woodley-Maia fight was supposed to face GSP, but White publicly declared that nobody wants to watch Woodley fight. The fighter has since demanded a public apology from the UFC president.

St-Pierre (25-2) last fought in late 2013, taking a controversial split decision over Johny Hendricks to retain his welterweight title, before he vacated the title.

Bisping earned a unanimous decision against Dan Hendernson at UFC 204 last October.