It this finally it? According to reports, the long-talked about superfight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor is set for Aug. 26.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission has approved a request submitted by Mayweather Promotions to host a boxing event on Aug. 26 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, reports ESPN.
The request was approved on Wednesday (June 14).
Sources said that Mayweather Promotions planned to retract its request for the Aug. 26 date, but late Tuesday, the company informed officials to leave the date on the books. “I got a call [Tuesday] night from Mayweather Promotions that they wanted to be put back on the agenda, so I put them back on the agenda,” Bob Bennett, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, told ESPN. “They pulled the request but then decided to put it back on.”
While nothing has been confirmed or announced, source says Mayweather Promotions has secured the date for the hyped Mayweather-McGregor fight.
The date request was for an unspecified event, but is for an event to be televised on Showtime.
Last month, McGregor and UFC president Dana White announced that they’ve come to terms on a deal, and all that’s left is to negotiate with Mayweather’s side.
While prospects look good for a fight in August, we’ll have to wait on an official announcement from Mayweather and McGregor. Stay tuned..
Mayweather (49-0, 26 KOs) retired in September 2015, after an easy victory over Andre Berto. Many expect him to return at some point to chase a 50-0 perfect record, and surpass Rocky Marciano’s mark, whom he’s currently tied with.
McGregor (21-3) is obviously an MMA superstar, holding belts at 145 and 155 pounds. He last fought in November, knocking out Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205. He has never boxed professionally.