Apple held its WWDC keynote on Monday (June 5), where it unveiled its own smart speaker, the HomePod.
The speaker delivers what is described as “immersive hi-fi audio”, while using “spatial awareness to sense its location in a room and automatically adjust the audio.”
The Siri-powered HomePod also doubles as a personal assistant, offering the ability to send messages; relay sports, news, and weather updates; control smart home devices; and works seamlessly with Apple Music
Other notable features include:
– Apple-designed upward-facing woofer, paired with the custom A8 chip, enables bass management through real-time software modeling that ensures the speaker delivers the deepest and cleanest bass possible, with low distortion
– Custom array of seven beam-forming tweeters, each with its own amplifier, provides well-balanced smooth timbre as well as precise directional control of a multitude of beam shapes and sizes
– Apple-designed A8 chip provides the brains behind the advanced audio innovations;
– Automatic room-sensing technology allows HomePod to quickly learn its position in a room, whether it’s in a corner, on a table or in a bookshelf, and within seconds, is perfectly optimized to deliver an immersive music listening experience wherever it is placed
– Six-microphone array with advanced echo cancellation enables Siri to understand people whether they are near the device or standing across the room, even while loud music is playing
– Siri waveform appears on the top to indicate when Siri is engaged, and integrated touch controls also allow easy navigation
– Automatic detection and balance of two speakers using both direct and reflected audio to deliver amazing audio wirelessly for an even more immersive experience
– Easy setup that is as intuitive as setting up AirPods — simply hold an iPhone next to HomePod and it’s ready to start playing music in seconds
The HomePod launches in December in Space Grey and white colorways for $349 USD.