DC’s latest standalone superhero flick, Wonder Woman, destroyed the weekend box office, opening with a historic $103 million.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the movie’s performance is the top domestic debut of all time for a female director.
Directed by Patty Jenkins, Wonder Woman grossed a $103 million at the domestic box office in 4,165 theaters. It did well overseas too, earning $122.5 million from 55 markets for a global bow of $225.6 million, including a No. 1 debut in China with $38 million.
The Warner Bros. movie had a $150 milllion budget. It stars Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, also launches the first film franchise featuring a female superhero, following Catwoman and Elektra, both of which flopped in the mid-2000s.
The top 10 of the U.S. box office is as follows:
1. Wonder Woman – $103 million.
2. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie – $23.5 million.
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mem Tell No Tales – $21.6 million.
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 – $9.7 million.
5. Baywatch – $8.5 million.
6. Alien: Covenant – $4 million.
7. Everything, Everything – $3.3 million.
8. Snatched – $1.3 million.
9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul – $1.2 million.
10. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword – $1.1 million.