Internships usually serve as a stepping stone for looking to gain experience in the field they want careers in. But, at some companies, interns are paid pretty nicely.
Glassdoor has compiled a list of the highest paid internships in the U.S., and it’s not surprising that the companies that top the list are tech giants, including familiar names like Facebook, Google and Apple.
For example, those who land a summer internship at Facebook get a median salary of $8,000 a month… which comes out to around $96,000 annually. By comparison, the median annual salary for Americans in 2015 was $55,775.
Although that’s a sizable income, the cost of living is much higher in Silicon Valley. According to a 2016 article by Business Insider, making even an annual salary of $120,000 in and around the Bay Area is almost average, due to the insane cost of living.
However, some internship packages do include paid-for housing, which could help even things out. And, if you land a job in the end, you are likely in good shape.
With that said, below is the top 10 list of highest-paid internships. See the full list over at Glassdoor.
1. Facebook – Median Monthly Pay: $8,000
2. Microsoft – Median Monthly Pay: $7,100
3. Salesforce – Median Monthly Pay: $6,450
4. Amazon – Median Monthly Pay: $6,400
5. Apple – Median Monthly Pay: $6,400
6. Bloomberg – Median Monthly Pay: $6,400
7. Yelp – Median Monthly Pay: $6,400
8. Yahoo – Median Monthly Pay: $6,080
9. VMware – Median Monthly Pay: $6,080
10. Google – Median Monthly Pay: $6,000