UFC strawweight Pearl Gonzalez was on the verge of being pulled from UFC 210 on Saturday (April 8), due to her breast implants, but apparently, discussions ruled against it.
According to reports, her fight debut against Cynthia Calvillo will go on as planned, after the New York State Athletic Commission determined she was “medically cleared” to fight with breast implants.
The fight was in limbo Friday, due to concerns that Gonzalez’s implants could rupture.
The NYSAC’s Medical Standards for Professional Boxers states, “Due to the concern over rupture, boxers who have breast implants are not eligible to box in New York.”
“After careful consideration and review, including a conversation with Pearl Gonzalez’s treating physician, the commission has determined that Ms. Gonzalez is medically cleared to participate in the UFC 210 event in Buffalo, N.Y.,” NYSAC spokesperson Laz Benitez said in a statement.
Gonzalez had successfully made weight Friday morning, ahead of her fight at KeyBank Center in Buffalo for UFC 210, headed by a light heavyweight title fight between Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson.
Gonzalez (6-1) last fought in April 2016, while Calvillo (4-0) made her UFC debut last month.
“I’ve never heard of such a thing,” Gonzalez said of the breast-implant rule. “I put it in my paperwork. I never lied about it. They asked me if I had surgery and I told them. I was surprised. Nothing I can do about it now. I’m just riding my wave and enjoying this.”