Although UFC president Dana White previously said he would never come back, former champion Georges St-Pierre is returning to the MMA promotion.
White told the Los Angeles Times on Friday (Feb. 17) that GSP, 35, has signed a new deal with the UFC this week, after a lengthy negotiating process. “He’s back. I’m excited,” White said. “We worked at it for a long time and finally got it done.”
GSP (25-2) vacated his welterweight title in 2013 indefinitely, and most believed he would retire. He’s the longest-reigning 170-pound champion in UFC history, but he hasn’t fought in 39 months, the last time being at UFC 167, where he won a split-decision over Johny Hendricks… and after walked away, saying he needed time off and would also question the UFC’s drug-testing policies.
So far, it’s unclear when we will GSP in the Octagon or who his opponent might be.
In his chat with the Times, White mentioned that the winner of the UFC 209 welterweight title rematch between champion Tyron Woodley and Stephen Thompson would be a potential opponent for St-Pierre. He also mentioned middleweight champion Michael Bisping, who called out GSP in October.