Conor McGregor: “My Only Focus Is Floyd Mayweather”

By Staff  |  01/28/2017

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor has spoken. The next focus for his career is Floyd Mayweather.

During an interview, in front of a live audience for MMAFighting.com on Saturday night (Jan. 28), the MMA superstar talked about what's next for him... and he says that's Mayweather.

Dubbed "An Experience with The Notorious Conor McGregor," held in Manchester, England, McGregor said: "That fight is being more than explored -- that fight has been in the works for a while now. It's a fight the people want, it's the fight I want."

The unlikely fight -- which would fall under boxing rules if it does happen -- was first teased last May, when both fighters began hyping the fight on social media. While nothing has really materialized, UFC president Dana White made a public offer earlier this month of $25 million to each fighter and a slice of the PPV revenues (to be negotiated).

While McGregor admits that there's several obstacles that still have to be worked out before a McGregor-Mayweather fight can happen, he says it's his primary focus before he even thinks about returning to the UFC. "The next time I fight I will step through the ropes with ... gloves on," he said, adding that possible UFC opponents just aren't very enticing to him. "I got my eyes on one thing and that's Floyd Mayweather."

I am going to break his face

A photo posted by Conor McGregor Official (@thenotoriousmma) on

McGregor also says that he believes the fight "will happen by the end of this year or early next year."

Regarding Dana White's offer of $25 million, Conor feels the fight is worth much more. "I'm happy an offer was made, we're getting there," McGregor said. "If [the] Manny [Pacquiao] and Floyd [fight] did half a billion, this is a billion dollar fight. People gotta pay for it."