Since rumors of a potential fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor leaked, we’ve yet to hear from the MMA fighter, outside of commentary on social media.
Over the weekend, McGregor sat down with ESPN’s Sunday Conversation to finally discuss the chatter about him and Mayweather getting it on, among other topics.
“I’m open to challenges. I enjoy fighting, period,” he said, when pressed about Mayweather.
“I hear the boy talking. The leak came out and it was him that leaked the rumor,” McGregor continued. “He’s saying he gets $100 million and I get $7 million — that’s a pay cut to me. I don’t take pay cuts. I thought boxing was where the money was at. $7 million is absolutely laughable. He’s talking $100 million, I’m also talking $100 million. I’m 27 years of age, and I’m just about half-way through a $100 million dollar contract. At 27 years of age, Floyd Mayweather was on Oscar De La Hoya’s undercard. Compare that.”
The boisterous McGregor went on to declare that Mayweather needs him to go out on top, not the other way around.
“He needs me, I don’t need him,” he said. “That’s the truth of it. Who else can he fight? He fights someone else in the boxing realm, and all of the sudden, the pay goes from $100 million to $15 million. So, he needs me. If he wants to talk, we can talk, but it’s me that’s in control here.”
As far as rules, McGregor downplayed any notion that he’d have a disadvantage in a boxing match against Mayweather, essentially saying that he welcomes the challenge. “I don’t really care about rules. He can make all the rules he wants. I know he wouldn’t want to fight in a mixed martial arts contest… in a true fight,” he explained. “If you wanna fight in a limited fight, that’s no problem. We can do that.”
Last week, reports surfaced that Mayweather has made a $50 million offer to McGregor for a potential megafight. However, word is, he’s unable to sign because he’s under contract with the UFC… and the organization would have to agree to finalize a deal.