UFC star Conor McGregor has finally come forward, revealing that he is not retired, despite the shocking tweet he sent out earlier this week.
After he made a retirement announcement on Twitter, UFC president Dana White revealed that McGregor had been pulled from the UFC 200 card, because he refused to show up for promotional obligations for the event.
In a statement posted on Facebook on Thursday (April 21), the 27-year-old MMA fighter confirmed that he’s not retired… and explained why he wouldn’t participate in promotion.
“I am just trying to do my job and fight here,” McGregor wrote. “I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote. I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.
“There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop,” he continued.
McGregor is coming off a loss to Nate Diaz, which he suffered via submission at UFC 196 earlier this year. Their rematch was scheduled to headline UFC 200, but now, its been cut from the event.
Coming off the loss, McGregor asked for a reduction in promotional responsibilities, but the UFC denied his request, he explains on Facebook.
Dana White says all fighters are required to participate in any promotional events or marketing leading up to their fights, but McGregor is in Iceland training, and did not want to travel to Las Vegas and interrupt his camp.
“I’m coming for my revenge here. I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep,” McGregor wrote. “With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight. I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.”
He says that he’s “still ready to go for UFC 200,” but at this point, it’s the UFC decision.
According to TMZ, McGregor was set to make around $10 million from his rematch with Nate Diaz, so he may have blew it.