After some uncertainty with Doc Rivers’ future with the Los Angeles Clippes, in wake of the Donald Sterling scandal, the team announced Wednesday (Aug. 27) that he’s agreed to a contract extension will keep him with the team through the end of the 2019 season.
The 52-year-old coach, who joined the team last year, will continue as the Clippers head coach and president of basketball operations during the duration of the deal.
While terms were not disclosed, Rivers had two years remaining on the three-year, $21 million deal.
“This is an important day for this organization,” Clippers owner Steve Ballmer said in a statement. “I am excited to work with Doc for a long time as we build a championship culture that will deliver results both on and off the court. Not only is Doc one of the best coaches and executives in the game, but he continually embodies the hard core, committed and resilient character and winning culture that the Clippers represent. It was one of my top priorities to ensure that he was firmly in place as the long-term leader of this team.”
Rivers had previously told the Clippers that he was considering leaving if Donald Sterling remained its owner. But after Sterling was ousted and his wife Shelly sold off the team to Ballmer for $2 billion, Doc came around.
“Steve has shown a clear and determined desire to make the Clippers one of the most elite, first-class and championship organizations in all of professional sports,” Rivers said. “We know we have work to do to get there, but I am motivated by the challenge and thankful for the opportunity to stand together with Steve as we continue to move toward our goal of winning an NBA title.”