After being shipped to the Lakers, Jeremy Lin is ready to start anew. He remains one of the most recognizable basketball players in the world, but says his “Linsanity” days are behind him.
“I’m not trying to relive that banner season,” Lin said during his introductory news conference with the Lakers on Thursday (July 24), reports ESPN. “I think that’s been a big weight off my shoulders and I think that’s very important for me as a player. I’m not trying to recreate a ‘Linsanity.’ I’m not trying to be that phenomenon that happened in New York. I think I just want to be myself more than ever.”
During his famed run in NYC, he dropped a career-high 38 points on the Lakers at Madison Square Garden in February 2012. But, Lin has come a long way since then.
He lost the starting point guard role with the Houston Rockets to Patrick Beverley last season, but he did so while shooting career bests from the field (44.6 percent), from 3-point range (35.8 percent) and from the free throw line (82.3 percent). He also limited his turnovers to just 2.5 per game after averaging 3.6 with the Knicks.
“I think from the minute that I stepped into Houston until now, I’m definitely a much more complete player and I learned how to do a lot of things that maybe I never had to do before, which was learning how to play off the ball, cutting and really challenging myself with some of the weaknesses that I’ve had to try to improve on,” Lin said.
In Los Angeles, Lin could very well step right into the starting position, as Steve Nash’s status remains unknown and the only other point guard on the current roster being second-round draft pick Jordan Clarkson.