Carmelo Anthony

After exploring free agency, meeting with several teams and hearing their pitches, Carmelo Anthony has decided to stay put… reaching a deal with the New York Knicks.

The team announced Sunday (July 13) that it had re-signed Anthony, but did not disclose terms.

“After three months of questions around Carmelo Anthony’s return to the New York Knicks we are now happy to know that we have the cornerstone of what we envision as a ‘team of excellence,’ ” Knicks president Phil Jackson said in a statement. “… [Knicks general manager] Steve Mills and I have assured Carmelo through our conversations, that we share the vision and the determination to build this team.”

Both sides were finalizing the deal this weekend, but Melo made the announcement first on his personal website on Sunday afternoon.

“A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality,” Anthony said in a statement. “This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team. At this pivotal juncture in my career, I owed it to myself and my family to explore all of the options available to me. Through it all, my heart never wavered.”

Anthony was being courted by the Knicks, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Lakers, meeting with each team last week.

Word is, his decision came down to two teams: the Knicks and the Bulls.