Despite a trio of new releases, Transformers: Age of Extinction held onto the top spot in a dud of a holiday weekend at the box office. The film earned $36.4 million to bring its two-week total to nearly $175 million, while 22 Jump Street landed at #4 with $9.4 million, and How To Train Your Dragon 2 closes out the top 5 with $8.7 million.
A for new releases, the Melisa McCarthy comedy TAMMY had the top debut, coming in at #2 this weekend with $21.7 million to start. In it, she plays a woman who lost her job and learned that her husband has been unfaithful, so she hits the road with her profane, hard-drinking grandmother.
The horror flick, Deliver Us From Evil, scared its way to #3 with a $9.5 million debut. It stars Eric Bana, as NY police officer Ralph Sarchie, who investigates a series of paranormal crimes within the city.
And finally, the family adventure Earth To Echo opened at #6 with just $8.2 million. The film is like a modernized version of E.T., in which a group of kids embark on an adventure with an alien who needs their help.
That’s a wrap for this weekend. This upcoming week, look out for the release of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
This weekend’s top 10 is as follows:
1. “Transformers: Age Of Extinction,” $36.4 million.
2. “Tammy,” $21.2 million.
3. “Deliver Us From Evil,” $9.5 million.
4. “22 Jump Street,” $9.4 million.
5. “How to Train Your Dragon 2,” $8.8 million.
6. “Earth to Echo,” $8.3 million.
7. “Maleficent,” $6.1 million.
8. “Jersey Boys,” $5.1 million.
9. “Think Like a Man Too,” $4.9 million.
10. “Edge of Tomorrow,” $3.6 million.