So, the entire Raz B health scare was an elaborate hoax?
Over the weekend, it was reported that the former B2K singer had been placed on life support and in a coma after being hit in the face with a bottle during a nightclub brawl in China. But… it didn’t happen.
According to CNN.com, Raz B’s manager Elayne Rivers said the singer’s injuries were not serious as reported. “The comments about Raz being in a coma did not come from his official representative,” said Rivers.
Here’s how the original story goes: the 28-year-old was performing at a club near Shanghai on Thursday (August 15) when he spotted a fist fight in the crowd. He’d try to break it up, but was hit in the face with a glass bottle, which put a huge gash in his lip. He would receive medical treatment and stitches, and was sent home. However, from there, he allegedly did not wake up the next day…
A woman named Toy Jones, who acted as his publicist, sent the story to media outlets including TMZ and CNN, saying Raz B was placed on life support… and was in a coma. Several hours later, she put out a statement saying Raz had miraculously recovered, was responsive, and set to be released from the hospital.
The singer’s brother, Ricky Romance, told CNN that he too had been fooled by the erroneous reports.
“I was unfortunately unable to contact my brother at the time and then panicked,” said Romance. “I then alerted as many people of this information hoping to gather facts… Since the source that gave me this information was what I thought to be legitimately reliable, I didn’t question I just believed. I apologize if I seem like I jumped to conclusions, but a coma is a serious situation and it was concerning my brother whom is my best friend as well. I sincerely apologize for the confusion I caused if that is the case.”