Fans of the Marvel films have been left in limbo, wondering if actor Robert Downey Jr. would, in fact, return to reprise his role as Tony Stark in upcoming films.
Well, we finally have some answers… and fans can rest easy… because Downey is slated to appear in, at least, two more films.
The actor has signed a two-picture deal that confirms his involvement as Tony Stark/Iron Man in Marvel’s The Avengers 2 and 3, according to Marvel.com.
However, the deal not include potential future stand-alone Iron Man films. If another, separate, deal is in the works remains to be seen.
Downey had expressed some reservations about him coming back to the role. He previously told Entertainment Weekly that he’d like to begin to think about a career beyond Tony Stark and Marvel, saying: “My intent is to launch another franchise, independent of any that I can even imagine right now. My intent is to dominate the playing field for as long as I can, with my own challenges, with myself.”
Director Joss Whedon — who previously said he wouldn’t do an Avengers 2 without Downey — is currently hard at work on the script for the sequel. Production will commence in March 2014 with a ptential release date of May 1, 2015.