Lil Boosie Sentenced To Eight Years For Trying To Smuggling ‘Sizzurp’ Into Prison

By Allen Starbury  |  11/29/2011

Lil BoosieLil Boosie's day in court has come, and on Tuesday (November 29), the Louisiana rapper didn't catch a break when he was sentenced to eight years in prison for smuggling drugs.

The rapper (real name: Torrence Hatch) has been behind bars for some time now, after he was indicted on a first-degree murder charge last year while already in jail on a probation violation.

Earlier this year, Boosie was charged with conspiring to smuggle drugs into disciplinary facilities -- including Louisiana's Dixon Correctional Center and Angola State Penitentiary.

Authorities were tipped off about the attempt, and charges were brought forth.

According to local news station WFAB, District Judge Mike Erwin passed down an eight-year prison sentence after Boosie pleaded guilty to three counts conspiring to smuggle drugs,

Upon hearing his sentence, the 29-year-old rapper requested admittance to a drug rehab program, and while the judge agreed to recommend treatment, he wouldn't order it.

Boosie will receive credit for the time he has already served behind bars.

With other legal troubles he faces, the rapper may not see the light of day for a long time.

Last June, Boosie pleaded not guilty to one count of first-degree murder, two counts of conspiracy to introduce contraband into a penal institution, three counts of possession with intent to distribute narcotics, and three counts of conspiracy to commit possession with intent to distribute narcotics.

The first-degree murder charge stems from the October 2009 death of Terry Boyd, who Boosie is accused of killing via a hit man. If convicted, he may face the death penalty.

During Boosie's stint behind bars, the East Baton Rouge DA's office also began to build another case against Boosie, trying to link him to five additional murders.

Boosie claims he's being "unfairly targeted."

"[I'm here] 'cause of the songs I made, before I was indicted, about the police in Baton Rouge and what's going on here," he told XXL in May. "There's a lot with our record label that the system don't like. ... They took my hard drive out of my house after I got arrested. I have albums for days in there. They still haven't returned it. They've had it for damn near a year now. I need that music."