Wyclef JeanWyclef Jean has led the Haitian people as an ambassador, musician and philanthropist. But, according to a report from Reuters, his name was not on the list for presidential candidates for the upcoming election as of Thursday (August 19).

A council member, who asked not to be named, told Reuters that the 40-year-old Haitian performer was not on the list because he failed to satisfy several legal requirements.

Despite the news, ‘Clef maintained Friday (August 20) that nothing from a recent conversation with Haitian President Rene PrĂ©val indicated that he would not be among the final list of candidates allowed to compete in the November 28 presidential ballot, reports the Miami Herald.

According to the paper, Jean’s supporters protested in front of the Provisional Electoral Council headquarters Thursday evening, and that the musician said that at least three of the eight sitting members of the country’s electoral council are holding fast and are refusing to declare him ineligible.

Sources familiar with the debates of the council have told The Herald that only the president of the council, Gaillot Dorsinvil, has been pushing for Jean’s candidacy, despite 20 pages of legal documents submitted as proof that he is not eligible to run.

Dorsinvil’s support has triggered rumors of possible payoffs. However, both he and Jean have denied that rumor.

One of the key requirements for Jean to run was believed to be a stipulation that candidates needed to have had five consecutive years of residency in Haiti, which Jean has not.

On Friday morning, Jean himself tweeted (@wyclef): “We await the decision of the Electoral Council,To see if I made the list as a Candidate. As it is written So Shall it be Done!”

Jean filed necessary legal documents earlier this month, and announced, officially, that he planned to run for Haiti’s presidency. Following his announcement, he explained that he feels he can leader for the youth and connect different parties to better the nation.

Stay tuned…