Floyd Mayweather let a deadline to fight Manny Pacquiao come and go on Friday (July 16) without an explanation, or even a response at all.
Now, a day later, the undefeated boxer revealed to the Associated Press that his stance — on a fight fans have been waiting for — wouldn’t be changing anytime soon.
“I’m not interested in rushing to do anything,” Mayweather told the AP.
“I’m not really thinking about boxing right now,” he later added. “I’m just relaxing. I fought about 60 days ago, so I’m just enjoying myself, enjoying life, enjoying my family and enjoying my vacation.”
Mayweather appeared in Miami on Sunday (July 18) to serve as a coach at a charity basketball game hosted by Dwyane Wade and Alonzo Mourning. And during his public appearance, he did speak to reporters, just not about boxing.
According to the AP, Mayweather happily fielded questions about the NBA, but when talk turned to boxing — of course, with Pacquiao being the main topic — he simply wouldn’t respond.
Early last week, Pacquiao’s camp set a deadline for Mayweather for a decision on whether he and the Filipino boxing star would meet in November for their much-anticipated mega-fight. Then, at midnight on Saturday morning (July 17), Pac-Man’s promoter Bob Arum revealed, via a live phone conference, that they hadn’t heard anything from Mayweather’s camp, despite months of negotiations.
While Arum made it clear passing the deadline wasn’t an absolute deal breaker, he said Pacquiao plans to move on and begin talks to face either Miguel Cotto or Antonio Margarito.
Although he hasn’t spoken directly to Mayweather, Arum said he believes Mayweather may be reluctant to fight this year because of the legal woes of Roger Mayweather, his uncle and longtime trainer.
Roger Mayweather will go on trial in Las Vegas next month on assault charges stemming from an altercation with a female boxer last year.
Regardless of who the opponent is, Arum says Pacquiao will fight on November 13th.