The deadline for Floyd Mayweather to make a decision on whether he will fight Manny Pacquiao in November came and went on Friday (July 17), and apparently, he still hasn’t given an answer. Now, the Filipino boxer’s camp says they plan to move on … that is, unless Mayweather commits within the next couple weeks.
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum revealed at midnight on Saturday (July 17), via a live conference call, that Mayweather has yet to response and/or commit in their negotiations to make a November mega-fight happen between the two boxers, as of their deadline of Friday.
“Floyd, for whatever reason, didn’t want to commit,” Arum said.
Manny will now move on and begin exploring options for a fight against Antonio Margarito or rematch with Miguel Cotto, in November. And, Arum said they should make a decision “within the next 10 days.”
However, there’s hope, though unlikely, that the Pacquiao-Mayweather could still happen. Arum said they still want the fight to happen, but as of Friday, it’s the “end of the exclusivity period” with Mayweather, and now have to start talking to other opponents.
“If Floyd decides in the interim that he wants to fight Manny, that’s the fight we want,” Arum said in the conference call.
According to Pac-Man’s promoter, both sides (Mayweather and Pacquiao) had agreed on terms — including previous concerns over the Filipino boxer’s refusal to adhere to Mayweather’s requirements of Olympic-style drug testing, which originally derailed their talks last year. He explained that those elements had been “resolved”, from their understanding, as relayed through HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg, who Pacquiao’s camp had been communicating with through the negotiation process.
Even if the fight between the two boxing superstars doesn’t take place, Arum made it clear that Manny wants it to happen, and it probably will … in the future, maybe even next year.
While the news will disappoint fans of the sport, Arum asked that people be easy on Mayweather because, as many know, his uncle and trainer has been enduring legal troubles in Las Vegas, which could possibly make him unavailable during what would be Floyd’s training camp if he accepts. Many believe that for this reason, Floyd has backed away from committing to any fight this year.
“I think the boxing fans are gonna be disappointed, but they have to cut Floyd Mayweather some slack,” said Arum. “We know his uncle is facing difficulties is Las Vegas courts. So, we can see the reluctance why he wouldn’t go into a fight without his trainer. … There’s always next year.”
Pacquiao’s decision to move ahead with another opponent is because, according to Arum, they need time to promote the fight … before it takes place in November.
Right now, if Pac-Man chooses Margarito, they will face each other in either Monterrey, Mexico or Las Vegas’ MGM Grand; or if Cotto is the opponent, the fight will take place at Cowboys Stadium or the MGM Grand as well.
Within the next few weeks, fans should have a definite answer. Stay tuned…