After a series of live video streams and goodbyes on concert stages, Lil Wayne was finally sentenced to a year in jail on Monday (March 8), as part of a plea deal for a 2007 gun charge.
According to the Associated Press, his lawyer Stacey Richman said the rapper was resolute as he was taken away.
“He knew what he had to do, and he’s doing it,” she told the news provider.
The rapper (real name: Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr.) will serve out his sentence at the Island jail complex, where he’s expected to be held in protective custody. However, the city’s Correction Department said it was still deciding on that.
Protective custody is given to inmates who, for a variety of reasons including notoriety, require separation from the general prison population.
If he has no infractions while behind bars, he could be released in about eight months with good behavior.
Lil Wayne was arrested in July 2007 for a gun possession charge in Manhattan. Just last year, he pleaded guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon, admitting guilt to having a loaded .40-caliber semiautomatic gun on his tour bus.
In his final tweet before heading to court, Weezy told followers he’ll be back.
“Law is mind without reason … I’ll return,” he tweeted (@LilTuneChi) Monday morning.