Pimp C’s Death Caused By Accidental Overdose

By Allen Starbury  |  02/04/2008

The official word from the coroner's office has come back in the death of UGK's Pimp C, and the verdict is that the Texas rapper died from an accidental overdose, due to a combination of cough syrup and a pre-existing sleep apnea condition.

The cornoer's office said Monday (February 4) that the death was ruled as accidental and cited "promethazine/codeine effects and other unestablished factors" as the cause of death -- specifically the use of prescription medicine used to treat coughs and congestion, and his pre-existing condition.

The rapper (real name: Chad Butler) was found dead in a Los Angeles hotel on December 4th, following a concert the night before at the House Of Blues with rapper Too Short.

He was just 33 years old.

Although early reports suggested the cough syrup was over-the-counter, assistant chief coroner Ed Winter said the Promethazine/Codeine found in his system was from a prescription-based product.

The sleep apnea condition is a disorder in which breathing is briefly suspended repeatedly during sleep. According to the National Institutes of Health, the condition affects more than 12 million Americans.

Pimp C's death came just as his group UGK -- alongside Bun B -- was enjoying their commercial peak. Their latest release, Underground Kingz, was their first chart-topping album.

They had also just received their first Grammy nomination.