NBA Surpasses 1 Billion Fans on Social Media
The NBA has become the first pro sports league to surpass one billion social media likes and followers.
The NBA made the announcement on Friday, saying the billion mark includes all league, team and player accounts combined across social media platforms Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, along with Tencent and Sina in China.
The league's official social accounts boast 28.5 million likes on Facebook, 19.5 million followers on Twitter, and 12.7 million followers on Instagram.
The NBA was also the first to include its social media handle on its official game ball, adding the @NBA handle prior to the 2014-15 season.
Among players, LeBron James tops all NBA players across the the three main social platforms, while the Los Angeles Lakers are the most followed NBA team on social media.
Rounding out the top five NBA players are Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Dwyane Wade, and Carmelo Anthony.
The Lakers are followed on the top teams list by the Chicago Bulls, Heat, Boston Celtics and Golden State Warriors.
Below are come of the breakdowns:
Top 10 NBA Players on Social Media
1. LeBron James: 66.3 million.
2. Kobe Bryant: 33.7 million.
3. Kevin Durant: 28.8 million.
4. Dwyane Wade: 22.1 million.
5. Carmelo Anthony: 15.9 million.
6. Stephen Curry: 15.3 million.
7. Chris Paul: 13.6 million.
8. Derrick Rose: 12.8 million.
9. Dwight Howard: 12.7 million.
10. Russell Westbrook: 10.0 million.
Top 5 NBA Teams on Social Media
1. Los Angeles Lakers: 28.3 million.
2. Chicago Bulls: 22.5 million.
3. Miami Heat: 21.6 million.
4. Boston Celtics: 11.3 million.
5. Golden State Warriors: 10.3 million.