New York Knicks: 2016’s Most Valuable NBA Franchise
The most valuable team in the NBA is the New York Knicks, according to Forbes, with a valuation of $3 billion.
The Knicks reclaimed the top spot on the list from the Los Angeles Lakers, thanks to a new cable deal and the highest premium-seating revenue in the league at almost $90 million. Furthermore, the split of the media and sports assets of Madison Square Garden Company in September precipitated a new media rights deal for the team for 20 years, which kicks off this season and is worth $100 million in the first year.
Also, the Knicks boast a superstar in Carmelo Anthony, and a star on the rise in the form rookie Kristaps Porzingis, who had the fourth best-selling jersey in Fall 2015.
Below is the top 10. See the full breakdown at Forbes.com.
1. New York Knicks - $3 billion.
2. Los Angeles Lakers - $2.7 billion.
3. Chicago Bulls - $2.3 billion.
4. Boston Celtics - $2.1 billion.
5. Los Angeles Clippers - $2 billion.
6. Golden State Warriors - $1.9 billion.
7. Brooklyn Nets - $1.7 billion.
8. Houston Rockets - $1.5 billion.
9. Dallas Mavericks - $1.4 billion.
10. Miami Heat - $1.3 billion.