A Han Solo “Star Wars” Prequel Is In The Works
Exciting news has been announced for the Star Wars franchise -- a film centered around Han Solo.
The Star Wars prequel will tell the story of how young Han Solo became the smuggler and thief whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina at Mos Eisley in the 1977 original, A New Hope.
The film will be directed by Christopher Miller and Phil Lord, who previously helmed The LEGO Movie and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
"This is the first film we've worked on that seems like a good idea to begin with," they said. "We promise to take risks, to give the audience a fresh experience, and we pledge ourselves to be faithful stewards of these characters who mean so much to us. This is a dream come true for us. And not the kind of dream where you’re late for work and all your clothes are made of pudding, but the kind of dream where you get to make a film with some of the greatest characters ever, in a film franchise you've loved since before you can remember having dreams at all.”
It screenplay will be written by father-son duo Lawrence and Jon Kasdan. Lawrence has already co-written screenplays for The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens.
Producer Kathleen Kennedy says, "It's not just any filmmaker who can tell the story of such a beloved icon like Han Solo, and I'm excited to say we’ve found the perfect team to handle the task. Larry and Jon know all there is to know about the character, and Chris and Phil will bring their wit, style, energy and heart to tell Han's story."
The Han Solo prequel is slated for release May 25, 2018.