It's been a big year for Compton newcomer Kendrick Lamar, and the critics are agreeing. With the end of the year nearly here, TIME has compiled a list of their top 10 everything, including albums and songs, and the rapper makes the list.
Kendrick's newly released debut, good kid, m.A.A.d city, comes in at #2 in the publication's list for Top 10 Albums of 2012, proclaiming the 25-year-old as "the most promising artist in hip-hop," while Frank Ocean's channel ORANGE, Azealia Banks' 1991 EP, and Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music also make the cut.
As far as the Top 10 Songs of 2012, Nicki Minaj's "Roman in Moscow" lands at #7, despite not making her album, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded.
"This gloriously deranged throwaway encapsulates what's great about the rapper," TIME writes about Nicki.
Below are the full rankings for both lists:
Top 10 Albums of 2012
1. Fiona Apple, The Idler Wheel...
2. Kendrick Lamar, good kid, m.A.A.d city
3. Frank Ocean, channel ORANGE
4. Dirty Projectors, Swing Lo Magellan
5. Getatchew Mekuria & the Ex & Friends, Y'Anbessaw Tezeta
6. Swans, The Seer
7. Various Artists, Listen, Whitey! The Sounds of Black Power 1967–74
8. The Mountain Goats, Transcendental Youth
9. Azealia Banks, 1991 EP
10. Killer Mike, R.A.P. Music
Top 10 Songs of 2012
1. Usher, "Climax"
2. PSY, "Gangnam Style"
3. Carly Rae Jepsen, "Call Me Maybe"
4. Taylor Swift, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"
5. Parquet Courts, "Master of My Craft"
6. Skrillex, "Bangarang"
7. Nicki Minaj, "Roman in Moscow"
8. Pussy Riot, "Putin Lights Up the Fires"
9. The Belle Brigade, "No Time to Think"
10. Can, "Graublau"